Pure & Clear | Old Fashioned
Fix yourself an easy-to-make Old Fashioned with Pure & Clear™ cocktail ice.
If you search the internet for an Old Fashioned recipe, you’ll come across the same thing we found: everyone has their own way of doing it. Some folks use simple syrup, some use cheap bourbon, some add ice first, and others go above and beyond with smoke-infused this or smoke-infused that.
We’re going simple with ours. Is it the “right way” to make an Old Fashioned? Reader’s choice. We like that you probably have everything for this cocktail in your pantry. We like that it’s approachable and uncomplicated. And we love that it tastes great.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Lowball glass
- Bar spoon
- 1 teaspoon superfine sugar
- Angostura bitters
- 2 oz bourbon of choice
- Pure & Clear™ Cylinder
- Orange peel for rim (optional)
And here’s what you’ll do:
- In your lowball glass, add one teaspoon of superfine sugar. If you don’t have superfine sugar in your cupboard, simply pour a bit of granulated sugar into a food processor or small blender, and pulse until the sugar has a sand-like consistency.
- Next, add a few dashes of Angostura bitters. You could also substitute for whatever kind of bitters you have at home!
- We skipped muddling the sugar and bitters together, but feel free to add that step if you prefer.
- Next, add in the 2 ounces of bourbon. We opted for Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, but honestly, any drinkable bourbon will work great.
- Once you’ve added your bourbon, you can stir right away. You can also add your Pure & Clear™ Cylinder first, and then stir. The choice is totally yours.
- The last step is the bow on top. Pull an orange (any kind will do) out of your refrigerator and use a vegetable peeler or paring knife to strip off a couple inches of peel. Twist the orange peel just above your Old Fashioned to express the oils, and slide the peel into the glass next to the Cylinder.
That’s it! She’s simple and divine and we can’t wait to hear how you customize yours at home.